Tuesday, April 23, 2024

TLA 2024 - So Much to See and Do


 There is always so much to see and do at TLA.  Lots of authors, sessions, friends new and old, and don't forget the books!  So many books.  TLA is consistently generous in giving out books.  My book club will be the recipients of those books tomorrow when we meet, and I can hardly wait to give them away.

Here is a list of the programming sessions I attended.  The author sessions are not included because there were no digital presentations . . . just authors and books. (*sigh*) You can't get any better than that!


Wakelet of programming sessions:    https://wakelet.com/wake/z0lm0JaQlxRuK6oTOoI9m


My favorite session was the Mavericks YA session. I'm going to be honest about this one.  I ended up in the wrong room.  I thought my session was in 301, and it was in 303.  To my surprise, the Maverick YA Graphic Novel list was in 301.  So I stayed, and I am so happy I did.

2 of the authors have popular YA Graphic novels; well at least they are popular in my library.



Molly Ostertag wrote/illustrated the Witch Boy Series and The Girl from the Sea.  Both are popular in my collection.  Jen Wang wrote The Prince and the Dressmaker.  Another graphic novel that seems to fly off my shelf.  In these sessions, it is always fun to hear about what the authors are doing next.  I guess I need to put those books on my list for next year. 

The other author, Greg Neri, has a graphic novels that I have in my collection.  He is the author/illustrator of Yummy: the Last Days of a Southside Shorty.  I'm not as familiar with that book, but it is a biography of an 11 year old gang member. Wow! That sounds like some heavy material.

Switching over to programming, the session that I enjoyed was "Promote Your Library with Professional Development."  (Second link in the Wakelet) I really enjoyed this one because it broke down presenting into small steps.  The librarians shared many ways one could present at teacher PLCs, campus meetings, district conferences, and then state conferences.  It was teaching the audience what to present - a presentation about presentations. So clever! I can appreciate that.  I love to present, and I think it is my duty to do so and share what is happening in my library.  Not necessarily because it is perfect, but because it is real, and not always perfect.  However, when others ask me what they could present, I draw a blank.  Now I have the tools to walk someone else through the process to find something they will be confident presenting.

I guess the one thing I would add is to make sure you are presenting something that you are actually doing in your library or you have tried with other classes.  You might think that is a "no-brainer." However, in my 20+ years of attending conferences, I have seen my fair share of programs "in theory" rather than in practice.  Usually the presenters of theory get caught up in the Q & A session afterwards.  It is definitely awkward when a presenter stammers over an answer because he/she/they haven't actually tried that program in their library.  You should always be able to tell the do's and don'ts of your program.  That helps others decide if the program is worthy of repeating.

I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't also share that the presentation that Pam & I did had a great turn out. "Creative PD to Ace your Library Evaluation" was a hit.  Lots of questions afterwards, and yes, we were both able to answer them.

Next year, I believe we are in Dallas.  I enjoy travelling out of town, but I'll be able to take public transportation next year; that is always an adventure.  Maybe not the same as being in San Antonio, but an adventure none the less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment