Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Tuesday's Tomes: My Latest Reads

 Here are some of the books I have been reading in no particular order.  I have enjoyed them all.



Oh my goodness!  I cannot recommend this one enough.  It was recommended to me by two different people so I put it on hold through Libby at the Dallas Public Library.  Let me just say - this one did not disappoint.  It could have been the fact that this story is about the pack horse librarians in Western Kentucky after the Great Depression.  It could have been how the library not only reshaped the small town in which it was housed, but it reshaped and empowered the women in the surrounding area who were DIRT POOR.  I enjoyed the characters and the story.  I have not read any other books by Jojo Moyes, but I enjoyed this one immensely.



I do enjoy a good Emily Henry romance because she makes me laugh out loud.  I hear there is a Netflix movie based on this book.  So I might have to check that out.  It is a typical rom-com where the loud crazy girl, Poppy, and the straight laced boy, Alex, become friends in college.  After realizing they live in the same hometown and carpool home that first year, they somehow decide an annual summer vacation is the thing to do.  The present day storyline has Poppy and Alex not really talking to each other anymore, and the nonlinear storylines which include each of their 10 different vacations they take together explain what happens.  In a last ditch effort to repair their friendship, Poppy convinces Alex to take one last vacation together to Palm Springs.  However, it is not friendship that Alex wants. Does he get the girl?  Well you know how these stories end. 



Abby Jimenez is another romance author that makes me laugh out loud.  The characters are quick and witty.  I like that in a couple.  This story is about two best friends who like the same girl.  On the night they met, Larissa picks the outgoing and cute Mike over the broody and silent Chris.  As the story goes, Mike is the life of the party but completely unreliable, and Chris is left to pick up the pieces.  Over time, Chris develops feelings for Larissa, but Larissa is still trying to make things work with Mike. Never in a million years do the two guys stay friends when they like the same girl.  This end is a bit more realistic but still ends on a positive note.  

No comments:

Post a Comment