Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Let's Talk New Year's Resolutions

And in the blink of an eye it is January 2018.  Where does the time go?  As I contemplated New Year's resolutions, I decided to do something a bit different.  Instead of a goal like reading 100 books this year or reading one book a week, I decided to make my reading habit more visible.  I, like many librarians, am always reading something.  However, I don't always talk about or show in any way what it is I am reading.  That to me is a missed opportunity to connect with friends and family, colleagues and, of course, the students.

I am using the hashtags #readbyexample and #imallbooked2018 to document my journey on social media.  In addition, I am creating a bulletin board of all the books I am reading here in my library to make those connections at work.  I have encouraged the faculty to do the same.  One of the math teachers approached me with a visual her librarians used at her previous school.  So I tweaked it to fit our campus and asked the teachers to customize the visual and put it up in their rooms as well.

I sent this to the teachers so they could insert their own name, and then we laminated it.

Then the teachers can write the name of the book they are reading currently while keeping a tally of all the books they have read since January 1st.


According to my sign, I have read 3 books since January 1st (in order) ...






and I am currently reading...



If you have made it this far, I am issuing a challenge.  I'm not asking you to read more; I do ask that you make your reading visible.  Create a hashtag; put it out there.  There is enough drama on social media.  Let's put something fun up there for others to comment on.

I'm looking forward to seeing the teacher signs in the hallways and classrooms.  I'm looking forward to the conversations about books.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are reading this year.

Every day is an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment