Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The First 6 Weeks is Over? What Did I Do?

Wow!  Our first grading period ended on Friday, September 18, 2020.  There are a lot of procedures that changed due to COVID-19.  In the beginning, the changes seemed insurmountable.  Now, they are still unbelievable, but the staff is adjusting and going home exhausted every night.  For those of you not in education, you might ask, "What changed?"  Well, here you go.

Lesson plans, attendance, and grading practices have changed.  How students come into the building in the morning has changed.  How students leave the building has changed.  Then there is the addition of face masks to the student dress code, dealing with multiple seating charts, and sanitizing EVERY seat in between classes.  In addition, teachers are starting to get sick, and some have been asked to quarantine.  The substitute teachers are not coming.  So any free time teachers might have (where they could create lesson plans or grade papers) is now dedicated to watching another class.  So, yeah, education has changed.

While adjusting to these new changes, I still had to run a library . . . sort of.  Our district came up with some guidelines which make sense and keeps everyone safe.  Of course it means the library is a bit too quiet for me.  Since my library is being used as a place for the dual credit students, I realized pretty quickly that my usual students couldn't come in to check out books.  So I invested in 2 eBook platforms, Junior Library Guild and Teen Book Cloud.  Those usage statistics is what carried the book check out this first 6 weeks.  I just started letting students reserve books in Destiny Discover.  Then we pull their requests from the shelves and deliver them to the students.  So those statistics should show up during the next reporting period.

So, what did I do this first six weeks?  Here are my library usage statistics.  Hopefully they speak for themselves.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment