Tuesday, February 20, 2024

4th Six Weeks Check In

 


I'm not going to lie, my check out statistics are disappointing for the 4th six weeks.  I saw the downward trend coming, but this is probably an all time low for me.  It's time to push book check outs because we all know if the students are not checking out books, they are not reading books . . . in general.  We do have classroom libraries in each of the ELAR rooms, and I know some students buy books or download them.  Regardless, we should have more than 336 books checked out in 6 weeks!

I have added different data collection to this report after seeing Shannon McClintock Miller at TCEA.  She didn't go over library statistics specifically, but her presentations inspired me to go to her blog.  One of her blog posts, "Sharing Our Library Statistics and Celebrating our Readers by Setting Up New Carousels in Destiny Discover," gave me some great ideas.  I like how she ran the stats for top patron readers and top homeroom classes, and then the top books checked out.  So the second page of my library statistics looks like this . . . 


I am hoping to spark some competition with the students and maybe even the ELAR teachers.  I plan to post this report on social media and email the staff too.  If you look at the actual check outs, they are low.  However, I have to start somewhere.  There is only one way to go from here. 

Another fun statistic I added to Destiny is a ribbon which has the top 20 books checked out from our library this year.  (Thanks, Shannon . . . again)  I didn't rank them according to how many times they have been checked out.  I just did Alphabetical order, but I think we might get some check out traffic with this new ribbon:  https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/ui/26295 

Something else I thought to include is to have a shelf where my top readers can recommend their favorite books.  Maybe that will also spark some book check outs.


Then, of course, I will continue my book check out incentives.  Right now we are giving out Mardi Gras necklaces.

In addition, my school purchase Beanstack, and I have yet to promote that.  I love the product, and to be honest, I am not sure why I have been hesitant to try something new, especially when it is hooked to reading.  I guess I will get over myself, and dive into Beanstack, and maybe do a school wide challenge after Spring Break.  That gives me plenty of time to talk it up to the teachers and students before the actual challenge.

I believe I am ready for the 5th six weeks.  Stay tuned to see how this all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment