Friday, February 9, 2024

TCEA Did Not Disappoint This Year



TCEA did not disappoint this year.  Lots of new learning, new people, old colleagues, and AI.  As always, some sessions were better than others.  We did get some positive feedback on our session which was the first day at 1:30 pm.  It wasn't a packed house, but not as many people were there on Saturday.  To be honest, I would have skipped Saturday if I wasn't already presenting.  As I  get older, my weekends become sacred.  I need downtime these days.

The best session I attended was AI & Research Tools: Transforming Libraries for Dynamic Outcomes.  What made it stand out from the others was the practical ways a librarian could use these tools with students and research.  So many AI presentations are all about the theory of AI - where it pulls its data, the history, etc.  I guess I am past knowing about the theory/history and am ready for the practical examples of how to use AI in the classroom.  After all, AI is just the next tool.  If we are not using it, we are obsolete.  Will AI replace my job? . . . not in my lifetime.  Will someone using AI replace me?  That is the better question, and I believe the answer is YES.  AI is definitely here to stay.

Other sessions I attended are listed below with my take away piece of information.


These are a few of my Favorite Things - I want to create a choice board of digital breakouts for students to do at their own pace. Great idea from this session.


Creative PD to ACE your Library Evaluation - okay, this was our presentation, but my one take away - create with purpose. Create your programs and activities around your library standards.

Canva: Amplifying Student Voice in School Libraries - pay attention to the design - what can people see? what do you want to emphasize? Also loved the "New Year's Reading Resolution" that students could design and put up in the library


EdTech Bytes: A Subscription Box to Rule them All - I WANT TO DO THIS!!! not sure if I will try with teachers or students first. Still thinking




Tools you Can Use Tomorrow - I think I need to revisit Padlet


Unlock the magic of Genially - I really am better at this program than I thought. I need to explore the breakout examples.


Tech Badge Dash: Building Teacher Capacity within Your School  - I've always wanted to do this, but this session was a bit too technical for me. More coding than I am comfortable doing.


Magic of AI in Canva for Education - that icebreaker is worthy of adapting and doing with a group of teachers or students


Tech Tastings for Teachers - need a digital binder or hub for all teacher training, I might be doing that with Canvas. Need to revisit.


My Favorite AI Apps - need to look at Copilot (Microsoft's version of ChatGPT)



Like I said, TCEA did not disappoint this year. I have lots of new ideas, and I need to see where they will fit in my library program.

No comments:

Post a Comment