Thursday, February 29, 2024

Teacher & Staff Fun - Valentine's Edition

 My goal this year was to boost teacher/staff morale by organizing a fun activity every other month.  This month I did a Valentine scratch off card.  I created 3 different cards. 



I made 8 copies of the "DutchBro" drinks, 24 copies of the "Mystery Prize" (which was a cup of candy with a Mardi Gras necklace and reading stickers), and then I made 148 "candy" prizes.  I have roughly 180 faculty, staff members, custodians, and cafeteria workers at my high school.  The scratch off part of the ticket is a sticker that I placed over those 3 prizes . . . which I found on Amazon.  I bought the 1000 piece roll, round stickers, gold, one inch.

We are about to close this activity; I originally ended the activity on Feb. 16th, but decided to give teachers and staff the whole month to claim their prizes.  So far I have given away lots of candy, 12 mystery prizes, and 0 DutchBros drinks.  I guess we will soon see who won those, or theDutchBro cards will stay forever unscratched in the mailroom.  How sad!

I have used the scratch off ticket 3 times this year.  I did an August scratch off that also doubled as an introduction to the library.  The front of the ticket was the prize, and the back of the ticket highlighted some quick ways to use the library.







I did a Halloween scratch off (only one-sided) where everyone won candy.




And this month was the Valentine scratch off, also one-sided.  If you would like to use any of these scratch offs, I made them in Canva.  Here are those template links.
What did I do for December you might ask?  After all, I did say I was trying to do a fun activity every other month.  I created a  December "12 Days of Christmas" calendar.  Teachers opened each day to find a book recommendation, a brain break, a treat, or a technology tool.  I created that in Genially.  Here is the copy version: 12 Days of Christmas.  If you have a Genially account, go to the bottom of this presentation and click the button that says "reuse this genially." It should create an editable copy & place it in your account.

In April, I am planning a "self help" Tic-tac-toe card.  I stole this one from a presentation and adapted it for my activity.  Here is that template if you want it:  Self Care Tic-Tac-Toe board

Where do I get the money to finance these activities?  It's a combination of Activity Funds and my own back pocket.  It just depended upon whether I got the PO request done in time for the activity.

As always, I need to give credit where credit is due.  These ideas are not always my own.
  • The original scratch off card I borrowed from Pam Pinkerton, former high school librarian & current library coordinator in Mansfield ISD.
  • The Self Care Tic-tac-toe board came from a presentation called "Collaborate and Compete with Canva" which was part of the Winter Virtual Showcase hosted by the Canva Librarians & Teachers FB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment